P1 - Mass Underground Mining
Program Leader – Professor Gideon Chitombo
Providing practical solutions with a scientific basis to enable the future sustainability of large-scale underground mining. This includes technical, economic, and license to operate issues.
Research Focus Areas
- Can you mine safely?
- Can you mine productively?
- Can you make money from the mining operation?
- Can you minimise the social and environmental impacts of the mine?
- Tangible outcomes to mining design and operations
- Thought leadership, new knowledge and new design tools with a scientific basis
- Real solutions to practical (immediate and anticipated) problems experienced by mining companies
- Collaborative work both in terms of how the work is supported and how research is undertaken.
- Work directly with the Program Sponsor through an executive steering committee-based structure.
- Methods include technical field-work focused on productivity and safety while being mindful of environmental and social impacts, modelling, large-scale laboratory work.
Current Projects (2016)
- Mass Mining Technology Project (MMT3)
- Hybrid Stress Blasting Model II (Implementation Phase)-(HSBMII)
- Cave Mining 2040 (Horizon 1; 2016-2020)
- Geology and Mass Mining
- Mass Mining Technology 1&2 (MMT1&2)
- Next Generation Cave Mining Phase 1 (NGCM)